Saturday, October 10, 2009

Why I Love My BBJ

BBJ and I butt heads. A lot. I think it's because we are similar in some really crucial ways - we're both stubborn, proud and *ahem* creative in how we achieve our ends. We have a process in mind, and we really don't take kindly to having other people give us a new process, unless we can clearly see how their way is better. (read: faster or more fun)

However, when BBJ is sweet...she just melts me. The other day, she crawled up into my lap, snuggled up, whispered "I love you!" and then gave me a kiss on the forehead. I could have died!

Then she did it again, and tried to kiss me on the mouth. Then, I think I did die.

Then I went and put on a movie about cars that blow up - someone's been watching too many Disney Princesses!

Moving on.

BBJ also gives me an excuse to play...she loves parties, she loves pink, she loves sprinkles. I love it when I see her playing the same games I did when I was a kid. Recently, her dolls have started talking out loud. It's a little disconcerting to hear, "Moooom!!!" and realize that - hey! - she's not talking to me! She's also discovered my very favoritest game from when I was a kid - Pretend.

(BBJ's final birthday cake - pink with sprinkles. I spread homemade lemon marmalade in the middle, and it turned out pretty good!)

The wall of her bathroom is covered, floor to ceiling, with 3/4" blue tiles. The other day, she was washing up after dinner, turned to the wall, and pushed on it experimentally.

"Mom? These are buttons."
"Oh, really? What do they do?"

"Umm...this one makes fire."

(BBJ enjoying her birthday cake with a friend. She wanted to sing Happy Birthday to him, after we had sung to her, so we re-lit the candles and moved the cake. Easy peasy!)

See, when I was a little girl, the bricks on the side of my house were Magic Buttons, and part of my Magic Kitchen. Each one represented a different food. I would set up camp on a large boulder in the side yard, with my imaginary friends, and serve them up a delicious lunch of their choosing. It was as simple as pressing a few "buttons." I can remember trying to teach this game to my little brother, to no avail - he simply couldn't understand how a dirty sock was a magic blanket and a plastic dinosaur was a baby.

(BBJ has discovered a love of Frosting. She didn't care much for the cupcakes I made for her birthday party - she simply ate the Frosting off of the top and asked for seconds! Well, a birthday only comes bug once a year. When the birthday girl asked for some frosting...I said yes. Then I looked over to see that her brother had been under the table, begging. And she obliged him. Awww...so sweet!)

Turns out, he isn't alone - the other day, a friend came over to play with BBJ. Since BBJ was still asleep when the friend arrived, I set the little girl up in the playroom. Then I heard, "Where's the play food?" She had found BBJ's play kitchen.

"Well, honey, the play food is scattered all over the house, so we just pretend! See? This block is a muffin. And this little block is a piece of cheese. Mmmm. Yummy!"

The girl looked at me like I had cheese and muffins coming out of my ears.

If you need me, I'll be with my baby girl, pretending. She can whip up a mean bathwater sandwich!




Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet post. :)

    Z is the same way... in that she can be the most obstinate little girl EVER, but she is also the sweetest, sweetest little darling. You can just mop me off the floor when I'm on the receiving end of her brand of sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, what a super-sweet post. And that cake! With homemade lemon marmalade, yet! MMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so cute, loving and funny. I bet she makes friends easily, and love to be the center of attention!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!