Tuesday, November 3, 2009

China Talk Tuesday - Sweet, Hot, Soothing

Friends, welcome to another China Talk Tuesday! The point in the week in which I share some random knowledge about life with a Chinese influence.

Today...I've got colds on the brain. Siu Jeun insists on licking shopping carts, chairs, tables...he's just a licking machine.

This results in a lot of colds.

Like the one he's got right now.

While I know babies can't have honey, I would really love to make up a sippy cup of this concoction for him. My Mother in Law prescribes it for every sore throat, sniffle and cough in the family. (Maybe I'll make him some soup...I'll have to ask her what might help with the sniffles.)

Get better soon, Siu Jeun!!

(On the other hand, he took 5 hours of naps yesterday, and still slept from 8-7 last night. Stop sniffling, but keep sleeping, Siu Jeun!! There. That's better.)

檸 蜜 (Ling Maht)
Lemon Honey
Combine in a mug:
8 oz. boiling water
1 T. honey
1 T. lemon juice
Stir, cool to drinking temperature, and enjoy!

This drink, besides being a popular home remedy, is also a widely available breakfast beverage in Hong Kong breakfast cafes.

4 comments:

  1. This stuff is amazing- we've been drinking it since LONG before Lo Gung and his venerable mother ever came into our lives.

    I remember sipping this stuff for two hours- I had NO voice, but with this I got through a rigorous "Messiah" rehearsal! :) I don't think I put in so much lemon and honey, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my beverage of choice whenever I'm at a cha chan teng.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm pretty sure the reason babies can't have honey is the tiny miniscule chance of getting salmonella. The boiling water will prevent this. I'm sure he could have this no problem.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!