Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday Stuff

My friends...October has come, and gone. The kids have been sugared up, and worn out. Halloween is over.

Actually, for us, it was over before it started - I was so tuckered out by the office party and church party on Friday, that by Saturday...we just sort of punted. Don't get me wrong - we had a GREAT day. We hit Costco for groceries just after it opened, came home for pizza, gave the kids really good naps, and then went back out for more "fresh" stuff at Stew Leonard's followed by dinner at 5 Guys.

Incidentally - did you know: eating and shopping establishments are nearly deserted at dusk on Halloween? We had a very relaxing time!

After the kids went to bed, Lo Gung and I settled in to watch a movie. We chose Fire Proof.

Have you seen it?

It's a Christian movie, about a firefighter and his wife. He works hard on the job, but treats his wife poorly, spending more time on selfish pursuits and addictions than on her. She, in turn, snaps at him and does her best to go about her days without thinking about him.

The marriage is at an impasse, with a divorce looming, when the husband takes a 40 Day Love Dare from his father, agreeing to do one nice thing for his wife each day for 40 days.

The first half of the dare doesn't go well, as he isn't paying any attention to what he's doing. The second half goes much better, as he suddenly Finds Christ.

The movie made me think...about my faith, about my marriage, about my own bad habits. (Someone told me recently that Yelling is the new Spanking. We don't want to hit our kids, so we lash out verbally. I think it's arguably worse!)

While I don't agree with everything the movie portrayed (sorry, honey - our marriage isn't over just because you're dead. You'll need a better excuse than that, and you're NOT getting rid of me so easily!) I definitely felt uplifted at the end.

I loved that the movie villified p*rnography. It's evil, and has no place in any home. Period. Amen.

It reminded me to be grateful for my fabulous husband, for my faith that keeps me strong, and for the truths I've learned to keep me hopeful. I have faith that, because I've made (and plan to keep!) covenants, my marriage will last longer than my time on this earth. My kids are stuck with me, too.

I hope y'all have a great Sunday...and, a word of warning? Today is the first day of National Blog Posting Month (NaBloPoMo)...so get ready for a whole lotta LoLo.

4 comments:

  1. Really? NaBloPoMo --did you just make that up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...you really think I'd like the movie? I get unreasonably made at mean or stupid people in movies...

    Happy NaBloPoMo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh... is that a threat? Because when I did NaBloPoMo last year, I think others viewed it as a threat. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not doing NaBloPoMo this year..nope. :) Might just boycott blogging period.

    and yes, we've seen Fireproof, recently in fact. Besides the terrible acting, it was an interesting message. It did make me feel grateful that our marriage IS so much better.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!