(Full disclosure: this was actually an e-mail I sent to someone who had asked me about Tim Tams. Tim Tams are reportedly available, October through March, from Pepperidge Farm. Target has them, and I've seen them at several major grocery stores. If you've never had a Tim Tam, go get a pack...and Slam it up, baby! 'Cause after March, you're out of luck. Like Girl Scout Cookies, only chocolaty-er.)
WHOO BOY, do we like Tim Tams. I was SO EXCITED when Pepperidge Farm approached me last year and asked me to review their American version. *grin* Right after college, I served as a missionary in Hong Kong. Among the group of us, we had a tradition. All the "old missionaries" knew it, and we passed it to all the new missionaries on their very first nights. Have you ever had a Tim Tam Slam? If you haven't, you MUST. It's the best way to eat a tim tam.
WHOO BOY, do we like Tim Tams. I was SO EXCITED when Pepperidge Farm approached me last year and asked me to review their American version. *grin* Right after college, I served as a missionary in Hong Kong. Among the group of us, we had a tradition. All the "old missionaries" knew it, and we passed it to all the new missionaries on their very first nights. Have you ever had a Tim Tam Slam? If you haven't, you MUST. It's the best way to eat a tim tam.
Step 1: Go to Target. Buy a package of Tim Tams. Caramel free, please - not sure who came up with that version. ??
Step 2: Stash it in the freezer at home.
Step 3: The next day, get your best friend and two mugs of hot cocoa. Open the package of Tim Tams and take out two cookies. Each "contestant" should nibble off two corners from their cookies. The corners should be diagonal from each other, like this:
*----------
-----------*
See?
Step 4: Carefully place one end of the Tim Tam in your mouth. Count to three and both of you stick the ends of your cookies into your cocoa. Here's the tricky part: Suck up cocoa through your frozen cookie, like a straw. (Don't worry - it's frozen. the cocoa won't burn you!) Remember: NO HANDS.
When you can feel the cookie start to crumble, quickly suck up the cookie while tossing back your head. The winner is whoever can suck the cocoa the longest while STILL getting the entire cookie into their mouth, hands free.
It's a BLAST, and oh-so-tasty. You're welcome. :-)
(Rumour is that the Hong Kong missionaries learned it from their counterparts in Australia. Whatever. It's a BLAST.)
I have 3 packages of Tim Tams sitting on my counter right now!! I'm afraid to open them though because once I do, I know the package will be gone in minutes. Maybe I need to try throwing them in the freezer!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, we used to do that... we'd call it the TimTam explosion! :) I should introduce this to my kids one day.
ReplyDeleteAh yes, I was introduced to the wonder of Tim Tams in Australia lo these many years ago. Yum! Didn't notice them in Hong Kong, but then again, I wasn't shopping. ;) I have seen them in the supermarket here a couple times but I didn't buy them because then I was eat them. All of them. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd your little game? Sorry, Max, but ICK. I hate when cookies get mushy by way of liquids I have introduced to their dryness. BLEH. :) I'm sure your PSA will be appreciated by others, though. ;)
We love Tim Tams!! It's true they're originally from Australia. When I found them at Target, I was overjoyed and stocked up!
ReplyDeleteThe caramel option seemed a little weird, but I did try the "original dark chocolate" (which Phil, the Australian, says he has never heard of)...definitely not as good.
We have quite a stash, but I'm already dreading the day they're gone!