Wednesday, March 3, 2010

American Idol, Week 2: Girls

*Spoiler Alert! If you're west of us out here on the East Coast, you haven't seen this show yet...and you've been warned. Proceed at your own risk.


1. Crystal Bowersox (Long as I Can See the Light) As always, I love this lady's voice. Maybe she wouldn't stand out on a subway platform...but here, she does. Does that make sense? Hers is a style that makes a great background...it lifts your spirits, but you don't have to pay a lot of attention to get the full benefit of it. Great working music! Love it. I wouldn't change a thing. (PS - Crystal, you look beautiful tonight.)

2. Haeley Vaughn (The Climb) (Girl, when the judges bust you for looking weird on stage...it's because you looked weird on stage. Take that and run with it.) Interesting! A countrified...country song. That said, this is working for her. (Also, sweetie - if you didn't wear itty bitty tulip skirts, you wouldn't remind us of a wind up doll. I'm just sayin'.) Little pitchy in this second half...she could be in trouble.  In the words of Randy, "It didn't work for me. It was tough for me. It was EXCRUCIATING." Hrm. Way to soften the blow, dude!

3. Lacey Brown (Kiss Me)   (Love that all these girls are so craftalicious!) Hrm...going with exactly what the judges suggested. Interesting. I'm liking this! It sounds like Lisa Loeb...singing Six Pence None The Richer. It was good! I'm afraid that her huge puffy sleeves are going to scare away votes...but it was cute.

4. Katie Stevens (Put Your Records On) Whoooo...girl. Right on. Swingin', groovy. Definitely wouldn't hear this at "your mum's birthday party"...maybe a club on a cruise ship? She got it right this week.  (Or, according to the judges...at least better.)

5. DiDi Benami (Lean on Me) This one's interesting for me. The song is definitely an oldie. Her voice is definitely distinctive. If people vote for her, I think it will be for that awesome voice they want to hear more of...and not because tonight was any sort of blow-me-away performance.

6. Michelle Delamor (With Arms Wide Open)  I like her take on this - she definitely has made this song her own. My issue with her is that I seem to be hearing two different voices. There is this kind of light sweet, and then this sort of growly...I kind of wish she'd pick one or the other.

7. Lilly Scott (A Change is Gonna Come) An Indie artist for sure. (For anyone, like me, who isn't entirely sure what that is...Indie is short for Independent. Not tied to anyone!) With her...if you like what she does, she's a genius. If you don't like her style, you'd flip right past her on the radio. I think she's Lo Gung's favorite...and she did a great job tonight.

8. Katelyn Epperly (The Scientist) Girlfriend looks gorgeous tonight. I'm really loving this. I'm such a fan of Coldplay...and I think she's doing a good job of making it her own. The only thing I would change is her eyes - she looks a little like a puppet sitting there, staring at the camera...that isn't live. Gorgeous song, though.

9. Paige Miles (Walk Away) Paige definitely has one of the best girl voices - I can't really say anything else! Great performance.

10. Siobhan Magnus (Think) I'm liking Miss Siobhan much better this week. Couple of rough spots in the bottom...but I think that awesome high note just sealed her fate. This girl will be around for quite a while!

My picks to go home are Haeley Vaughn and Lacey Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!