Wednesday, March 3, 2010

American Idol, Week 2: Boys

(Sorry this is late! I had a meeting last night, followed by a few church-work related phone calls. Coupled with the cold that has gripped the entire house...by 10 pm, I wasn't in any shape to watch a few hours of singing, good or bad.)


Here we go!

1. Michael Lynche (This is a Man's World) (??) - Hrm. I'm not completely convinced. I like this guy...if only for the fact that he could bench three of me. (What??! A girl likes to feel petite now and then...) He wants to be the "main act." He definitely seems much more comfortable this week, but I think he could have picked a more catchy song. He's got a great voice, and he's rocking this song as best he can...but I wish it had been a catchier tune.

2. John Park (Gravity) Oy. Little pitchy...and it's really distracting. I can't think of anything else to say!

3. Casey James (I Don't Wanna Be) (Every time I hear this song...I hear Bo Bice. Remember him? I like Casey's voice better, though.) I like that he added the electric guitar...I think that's something new, and it'll make him stand out. Unfortunately, I think it's taking away from his vocals a little bit, though. He's great on that guitar, though...so hopefully that will be enough to keep him in.

4. Alex Lambert (One More Try) I really like this kid's voice! I could definitely do without the tweed cotton jacket...and the mullet. His voice is really unique...and that last note was painful. Oy. Mixed bag with this one!

5. Todrick Hall (What's Love Got to Do With It) (Why don't they say the names of the songs tonight?!) Hrm...wow! I really didn't think I was going to like this...but I do! This is, in my opinion, HOW a cover is done - the original is there, but it's totally in his own voice, with his own vibe and pop. I'm not a huge fan of Todrick...but I'm really, really loving this song! (Sorry, Todrick - so hard to take you serious in that *ahem* "unique" jacket. I'm just sayin'.)

6. Jermaine Sellers (What's Goin' On) Man...this kid's voice melts me. (Seriously - WHO is getting these guys dressed?! The Mad Hatter?? Somebody tell Mr. Depp to tend to his own wardrobe and stop messing with these boys.) Hrm. All that said...it still seems a little forced, but then...R&B is definitely not my style. Felt a little fake...but there's a great voice in there.

7. Andrew Garcia  (You Give Me Something) Whew. I'm a little disappointed. I really like this kid....but tonight is not working for me. It's nasal. (Notheeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnn) It also seems pretty pitchy to me. And it's missing his usual *hook* and pizazz.

8. Aaron Kelly (My Girl) (Aaaand...whenever I hear this one, I see Macaulay Culkin. Remember him?! *shudder*) Way to go Aaron! Loving his voice....I think it's improved in confidence since last week. He could still do with a LOT of front-of-camera practice.  (Oooh. Tough break on that falsetto break, buddy. Aaaand...the running out of breath at the end.) Liked him!

9. Tim Urban (Come on, Get High) Better this week! And...if the High School Musical crowd is voting, then this kid has a chance! Good voice, great high school, clean cut appeal. He might have a chance.

10. Lee Dewyze (Lips of an Angel) Love his voice...but I've never liked this song. This is a bit weird for me. He'll stick around...because (I think) he's the best here, but I just don't like his song choice tonight.

(Ok, I just noticed that I wrote all of these snippets in present tense...and I'm watching this on Wednesday night. Whatev's, right? As always, if you'd like to follow along, go find www.ch131.com. The episodes are posted approximately 24 hours after they air on TV.)


My picks to go are John Park and Andrew Garcia. Pains me to say it...but that's what I'm going with. 


PS - Tim, if you are reading this - stop raising your eyebrows, and pointing your nose at the ceiling, and...then you'll stop looking so much like Zack Efron. You're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!