We're singing the music from Shania Twain this week! The biggest female crossover artist ever, and the voice that made country into pop.
To vote, call:
1 866 43657 (XX)
(01/07) Lee Dewyze (You're Still the One) - So, Shania suggested he lose the guitar...and he kept it. I wish it had stayed off, just for this song. In his preview video, the song sounded a lot more tender. Still, an OK go at it. Nothing special...which makes me sad. I really wanted it to be amazing.
Randy says: One of my favorite songs, I was a little worried about you. It started out a little pitchy, but towards the middle you found your own. Pretty good.
Ellen says: Better than pretty good! It always sounds like your version, not just a copy. All aboard the Shania TWAIN. (heh)
Cara says: Look how far you've come! That's a love song...and you cracked a smile!
Simon says: I agree with everybody. That was the perfect song for you.
(02/08) Big Mike (It Only Hurts When I'm Breathing) - I'm getting chills...and that's always a good thing. This is a great song for him. Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Randy says: You are in the zone of who you are! Very good.
Ellen says: I was a little nervous....but it felt like Luther Vandross. I felt you get into it. Beautiful.
Cara says: I always feel that you're "connected" when you sing. Great job.
Simon says: The performance was a little wet. (opposite of dry.) (I get it, even if nobody else does. Melodramatic.)
(03/09) Casey James (Don't) - His eyes are clamped shut...and I can see why. The producers have situated a dozen tweens around his feet. Heh. This song was...a little off for me. I don't think his voice was quite up to the challenge...but his heart was definitely in the right place.
Randy says: This is one of the best Casey James performances ever.
Ellen says: You sang it like that's where you belonged. Your best performance to date.
Cara says: You showed it all, you didn't hide, and if you keep doing that, you'll be at the front of the competition.
Simon says: Last week was a wake-up call for you. This is your best performance so far.
(Quick note here. Just saw an ad for So You Think You Can Dance. It starts in May. SO! EXCITED! That is all.)
(04/10) Crystal Bowersox (No One Needs to Know Right Now) - I am totally at a loss for words. I think her "country" is throwing me for a loop. I am having a hard time understanding her. Still, I mean, it wasn't BAD, obviously. It was cute...but I didn't really get it.
Randy says: I liked this Nickel Creek version! Wasn't my favorite, but I love you and I love seeing you try new things. It's country week!
Ellen says: There's nothing you can't do! Wasn't my favorite performance from you, but you're always going to be good.
Cara says: It's kind of impossible for you not to be good. It was believable, wasn't your best, but you're amazing.
Simon says: Shocker - we didn't like Crystal this week. I didn't feel any conviction from you, and I felt like the song (sorry, Shania) was more forgettable than the other songs.
(The song was a message to her boyfriend, to "man up", and he's in the audience. Heh. No pressure!)
(05/11) Aaron Kelly (You Got A Way) - FINALLY, a song that is comfortable!! A country singer, singing country. His voice is melting the song like butter, and this is just beautiful. (And he changed the lyrics to be more appropriate for a young man his age. WOOT. Thanks, dude. Potential awkward = AVERTED.) This is a little pitchy...ok, a lot pitchy. BUT, the song was still a great fit!
Randy says: Great job!
Ellen says: The amount of emotion in your voice, is great. Tomorrow's going to be tough.
Cara says: It was like you really felt those lines...and I appreciated that you changed the lines. (He sang the song to his Mom.)
Simon says: I think you've been struggling the past few weeks...but TONIGHT, you were like a different artist. This is the kind of record you should make. It felt sincere and believable.
(06/12) Siobhan Magnus (Any Man of Mine) - (Man, what is my PROBLEM tonight?! I don't even like Siobhan!) The song isn't finding the groove in her voice...and she is not doing anything to make it her own. (It does pick up a little in the second half...and there's that signature high note. OK. She's bringing it up in the end.) Why did all the contestants assume they had to fake accents tonight? She did a great job at the end, but the first half was just a'ight for me.
Randy says: I love the whole punk-country look. Loved the big notes. Loved it.
Ellen says: Way to pull the "Shania Twain" into the station. Fantastic. (Go ahead. Say it out loud. Shania...Twain.....got it? Ok. Moving on.)
Cara says: Siobhan is BACK!
Simon says: I really, really liked that song! I thought the song was great, but the scream at the end might have gone a bit shrill.
Man, it is nearly impossible to pick who's going home! The judges liked everyone! The only person they didn't love tonight was Crystal...ugh!
Nobody kill me, ok? I'm already losing the competition with Clan LoLo, so...I'm gonna be crazy here, and say Siobhan and Mike.
Your posts are always a signal for me to head to YouTube to check out the performances! :)
ReplyDeleteI gotta say that I love Lee's performance the best out of the bunch. I also liked Aaron's. The others were just so-so for me... but boy, Casey James is cute!! :)
Any Man of Mine is one of my favorite Shania songs, but I was kind of disappointed with Siobhan's performance of it. I can't figure out why she slows down every...single...song...she...sings.
ReplyDelete