*Spoiler alert - If you don't want to know what the kids sang tonight, stop reading now. You're welcome.
It's time for Idol Gives Back! Oh, and Alicia Keys is our mentor this week. AWESOME. SAUCE.
1. Casey James (Don't Stop) - Is it just us...or did he start in the wrong key?! I like his voice on this one - it's reminding me of a pop singer that was popular when I was a kid...but I can't think of his name. (Can anyone help me out?) Overall, good! Rough first few notes. Lo Gung didn't like it much, but he doesn't like Casey.
Randy says: It was good, not your best. Give us something a little different!
Ellen says: Great guitar! You're consistently good, but it wasn't GREAT.
Cara: You didn't show us what makes you different!
Simon: Lazy song choice. Not inspirational!
(Did he sound like Rod Stewart? That's Lo Gung's guess.)
2. Lee Dewyze (The Boxer) - This is a little rough for me at the beginning. It sounds almost pitchy...but the audience is getting into it, waving their arms. I really like that Lee is branching out this week - it's tender, and it doesn't sound like a Rock Cover of a tender song. This isn't my favorite...but he did a good job of it. It was definitely heartfelt, and I think it touched the audience.
Randy says: I'm your biggest fan, I think that you are a GREAT artist.
Ellen says: Beautiful song choice, so much soul and depth.
Cara says: I think you had your "moment" tonight. It shows clearly the difference when somebody sings connected to a song. Keep picking things you feel connected to.
Simon says: Even though we're only two in, that was the best of the night. That was sincere, it was emotional, it was intense.
3. Tim Urban (Better Days) - I'll be honest - I ADORE this song. I love the original. So...I'm a smidge biased. It starts out a little low for our Tim, but that's just the way it's written. All the way through, though...it's a smidge pitchy. The song is really deceptive - it's a hard song to sing well. I think he may have bit off more than he could chew, but the sweeping strings might save him.
Randy says: It was just kind of OK, good karaoke for me.
Ellen says: You're like the soup of the day. Today I didn't like the soup.
Kara says: It wasn't your best performance.
Simon says: If it was the first time we'd seen you, we'd be impressed. But remember 3 weeks ago, you were hopping all over the stage, so I'm having a hard time believing you. You've improved, but it was a little bit of a let down.
4. Aaron Kelly (I Believe I Can Fly) - Because he's putting a Country spin on everything he touches...this works. The song can be so corny. But so can patriotic songs. However, if you're country?! Corny is expected. And I think he's doing this justice! He's owning that stage. Watch how he digs in his heels before the big finish - he's grounded, and he's rocking it. That last note? Lo Gung put it well - "That is what American Idol should sound like! No more singer/song-writer cr*p. THIS is what American Idol the show should sound like." While I like the singer/songwriter vibe...I do agree that, for this venue? Big ol' songs like this, sung well, are your best bet. You're fighting for your career, and every song counts.
Randy says: You picked a giant song, the arrangement was a little funny, but you've got a huge voice, and I think you did a good job for such a giant song.
Ellen says: I believe you can fly, and that was a tough song. Good job.
Kara says: The beginning was rough, but you were flying by the end.
Simon says: You really gave it your all, so good for you. But if it was the real world, I would have turned it off.
5. Siobhan Magnus (When You Believe) - (Her outfit looks like she took a little fashion advice from Imogen Heaps.) Girl is working it OUT. She's got soul, she's got commercialability (yes, it's a word). She's using all of her talents, but keeping it...sweet somehow. Overall, a really stellar job!
Randy says: You picked the hardest song of the night, it was just OK for me babe.
Ellen says: I disagree.
Kara says: Technically, it was ok, but it felt like a musical. I still don't know who "you" are.
Simon says: Too much happened too quickly, and the butterflies distracted me.
For the record? I DON'T AGREE.
6. Mike Lynche (Hero) - This isn't doing it for me. It's almost a copy of the original, with a few trills thrown in. I'm missing the growling....I'd love to hear Lee do this one, maybe? (Maybe he'd even throw in a bagpiper!) I felt like it was ok, but he didn't make it his own.
Randy says: I was worried for you, but you held your own with it.
Ellen says: Great job.
Kara says: Wasn't my favorite, you didn't cut through, the song became unrecognizable.
Simon says: You sang it pretty well, but the theme was inspirational songs...and that was about Spiderman, wasn't it?
7. Crystal Bowersox (Train Comin') - Can I get a big WOOT for a great acapella opening? (Also, can someone arrange for Crystal and Siobhan to sing a duet? mkthnx.) Another awesome performance. Oh, but the poor girl lost it at the end. That is the WORST thing that can happen when you're singing. It's so hard to come back from that.
Randy: *standing ovation*
Ellen says: You have never looked more beautiful, and you keep evolving and growing. And love the mic stand! (She brought her personal mic stand - it looks like a lamp stand.)
Kara says: You just schooled EVERYBODY.
Simon says: THAT was inspirational. And I'm happy to see you emotional - you sang it fantastically, and for me it was in a completely different class from everything else tonight.
My picks to go are: Tim Urban and Mike Lynche
I still love Siobhan, but I think it's down to Crystal and Lee as to who's going to win. :)
ReplyDeleteReally, I should pay you for the amount of time you save me by not needing to watch!
ReplyDelete