Spoiler Alert – I’m about to tell y’all what Lee and Crystal sang tonight, what the judges said, and what I thought about all of it. If you don’t want to know, stop reading. You’re welcome.
Here we go, y’all! Crystal vs.. Lee. Crystal won the coin toss last week, and has decided she wants to sing second.
Here is Lee, with The Boxer (Singer’s Choice). I’m wondering…why he chose this one? It’s definitely good for him, but it’s not his style, you know? Maybe he was trying to provide some contrast to the other two songs he’ll sing tonight?
Randy said: Need some more energy, dude!
Ellen said: I couldn’t be prouder if I birthed you myself! Better than the first time.
Kara said: Believable, but needs more energy.
Simon said: This is the big one…so I would expect a lot more passion. That was a kiss on the cheek, instead of a kiss on the lips!
(BTW, this is Simon’s last week on Idol. Do you think there will be any tears from him?0
Now for Crystal. Me and Bobby McGee. Girl’s doing it right. This is her style, this is her moment. That said, you can see the nerves in both contestants. Lee showed it by pulling back a little big. Crystal shows it by trying to respond to every single wave and blown kiss. (She only just barely made it to the stage at the opening of the stage.) It’s getting a little scream-y in the chorus, but she makes up for it in swagger and energy.
Randy said: Started a little slow, but you picked it up in the middle, and the end was the Crystal we know and love!
Ellen said: You are so compelling on that stage. Good job.
Kara said: Loved it when you first did it, loved it tonight. You have fire in your belly tonight.
Simon said: This brought me back to the time when we absolutely fell in love with you! We’ve got a competition tonight – that was terrific!
Lee is back, with Everybody Hurts (Producer’s Choice). Good choice, Mr. Producer, sir. This song shows off his range, his soul, and gives him a nice smooth beat to swagger to. (And did I just spy his gospel choir walk in behind him?? Why yes, yes I did. Complete with jazz hands.) Good one!
Randy said: I could feel your passion in that. Started out pitchy in the beginning, but it was Lee by the end.
Ellen said: I felt like you went off a few times, but that’s not the point – it’s the performance. You pulled back when people got excited, so don’t pull back.
Kara said – You’re emotionally accessible. It wasn’t perfect, but it was good.
Simon said – Brilliant choice of song for you. I feel that you’re nervous. I think you’ve got to really understand the importance of tonight…and I want your last performance to be a ten out of ten, because you’re capable of that.
Here’s our lovely Crystal, with Black Velvet. Again, awesome song choice. The thing about Crystal is that looking at her makes you nervous. She’s fidgeting, and has her funny little nervous smile. That said, she’s really pulling out all the stops tonight. She’s got her “head in the game” as it were. And the girl is rocking it out. Thus far, she’s totally sweeping tonight. I’ve got chills. (I think the nervous/uncomfortable is in her eyes the most. She can’t stare down a camera to save her life.)
Randy said: THIS is what I’m talking about! Mama Sox is in it to win it!
Ellen said: That was FAN-tastic!
Kara said: Tonight is the night to give it your all…and that’s what you were doing. THAT’S what tonight is all about.
Simon said: I’m almost allergic to that song…I’ve heard it murdered so many times in auditions. But I have to tell you, you took that song and absolutely nailed it. I was very impressed! It was really good.
Now’s the time for Lee to wow him with his (possible) single – Beautiful Day (from U2. No original pieces this year?? Maybe they sing originals if they win?) I have to tell you, I have a tough time with this. It’s so hard to top U2! I really, really want to love this. I do. I want to see that swagger he had last week. He’s trying, he really is. I don’t think the song really taps into who he is. I want to see him so happy to be singing what he’s singing, he can’t wipe the grin off his face. I’m just not seeing that. It was good…but I really, really, really wanted more, you know?
Randy said: Dude, it started off a little interesting with your umm…walking around, but you hit your groove in the middle with your high notes. Good on you, baby!
Ellen said: How do you feel now? I feel good! I’ll tell you, watching you grow to where you are right now…and I was watching your eyes, taking in every bit of these people’s energy. I love that you were able to do that. Good job.
Kara said: I think you got swallowed up a bit in that song…some good moments, some not so good moments. You have grown so much on this show, and you have the most commercial voice from this season, and you DESERVE to be here tonight.
Simon: I just want to say, about you, this is what this competition is designed for – somebody who needs a break, you’ve worked hard, and I genuinely wish the best for you.
(Really, what could the judges say. It didn’t blow anyone away, but they’re trying to say something great.)
Lee said– I will be doing this for the rest of my life, regardless. I love this. Thank you for your support.
Now for Crystal, with Up To The Mountain. (Hey! Where’s her lantern mic stand?! Loving that necklace, though.) I don’t know this song, but it definitely suits her. She gave us her energy with the last song, and this song gives us her soul. Beautiful. Chills, y’all. She’s going to cry…but she’s singing through it. Good girl.
Lo Gung says: If she doesn’t win, American Idol is over.
Randy says: Yo. Culminating our ninth season on our show…THIS is what this is about. One of your greatest performances…that was INCREDIBLE.
Ellen said: You know, you’re always looking for someone unique. I cannot compare you to ONE person right now. In a league of your own – a BEAUTIFUL voice.
Kara said: This was a very important song for you tonight – my one critique for you has been your walls were up. Tonight? You were INVESTED in that song, unlike any other night. You really BLOSSOMED, just with that song.
Crystal butts in, to thank Simon for everything, and wish him luck.
Simon says: This is becoming a bit of a love fest tonight! By far, the best performance of tonight. And since this is the final critique I’m EVER going to give, I would just like to say…that was incredible.
Crystal said: I’m beside myself. I’m grateful for my family, my son…and I’m ready for anything. Now is the time.
&*&*&*
My thoughts? The night goes to Crystal. Really, truly. The girl rocked it.
You got Lo Gung in there with the judges' comments! *grin*
ReplyDeleteOkay, now off to see the clips on YouTube.