Tuesday, May 11, 2010

American Idol, Top 4: Movie Music

*Spoiler Alert - I'm about to dish on what the kids sang, and what I thought of it. If you don't want to know, stop reading. You're welcome. 


Welcome to....Songs from Movies week! Jamie Foxx is mentoring, and....go!

1. Lee Dewyze (Kiss from a Rose) I'm...not a fan. I don't like the song to begin with, and I thought it was too sweet for Lee. Oh, and is it just me, or is this really out of tune? If this is what he's like as an artist...I'm not buying. So sad...

Randy says: You did nothing with that song, it was pitchy. You're the Rocker - be who you are!!
Ellen says: I agree with Randy, but you are so good.
Kara says: You had a great week last week. This song is one of the most difficult songs to sing. You got lost, and you got out of tune. But you are still GREAT.
Simon says: I'm with Randy on this. So many brilliant songs...and that was verging on karaoke.

2. Mike Lynche (Like the River Jordan) Mike, you're an artist tonight. With the marching gospel choir behind you, and your take on the song...you are a CONTENDER, and this was great! You changed it up just enough, you made it your own. It wasn't perfect...it lacked a little excitement factor, but it was solid.


Randy says: Cool song...but I didn't love this for you. I wish you'd have chosen an R&B song. Just a'ight for me. 
Ellen says: You can't go wrong with a choir behind you...you're consistently good, but this was a little bit predictable. 
Kara says: Tonight I want goosebumps...and I didn't get them. You played it safe tonight. 
Simon says: (Simon's confused about the connection between Free Willy and this song. Heh.) You gave it 100%, you meant it...

3. Lee Dewyze/ Crystal Bowersox (Falling Slowly) Ooooh...love this song. Kids, THIS is how you do it. I've got goosebumps, and a perma-grin. Awesome. Just...awesome. I would buy this track. Rocked my world. The end. 

Randy says: A great song, by two great singers - that could be a hit right now!
Ellen says: You're like the new Captain and Tenille! GREAT. 
Kara says: One of my favorite moments of this season. 
Simon says: I wouldn't call that good...I'd call it fantastic. 

4. Casey James (Mrs. Robinson) What this lacks in excitement...it makes up in authenticity. A perfectly sweet song...I feel like I've just been transported to 1976. I don't have much to say. It was good...but it didn't rock my world. 

Randy says: It was just kind of a cool, laid back version. 
Ellen says: I like that you changed it up...I liked it. 
Kara says: (aka Mrs. Robinson. Heh) This is you fighting to stay in the competition. 
Simon says: I didn't think the song or the performance had the substance required on this important night. A little bit lazy. I think you could have made more of an impact. 

5. Crystal Bowersox (I'm Alright) - I like that she's changed this up. She also looks more comfortable than she has in past weeks. Maybe she listened to Mr. Foxx - she's looking at us!! A good arrangement...the best so far, but still not that exciting. 

Randy says: You are definitely an artist. Wasn't my favorite, but you tried to switch it up. Nice job. 
Ellen says: That performance just got "Crystallized". You just took that song and made it better!
Kara says: You took the song, made it better. ARTIST. 
Simon says: You, crystal, are back in the game. 

6. Casey/Mike (Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman) Full Disclosure- This song has always made me cringe. It's just so.....sentimental? To the point of embarrassment?  All that said, they're doing a decent job! It's got a whole Spanish -flavor going on. Except for that one high note. Guys, that was a stinky high note. 

Meh. The girls are going wild, though!

Randy says: The guitar was EXCELLENT. Casey, opening vocals were shaky, but when Mike came in, it was great. 
Ellen says: Yes, I have. 
Kara says: Good job. 
Simon says: That was really good. Well done.  


Whoa.....who should go home tonight??? After looking at the duets (because, seriously? Those were the highlights) I'm going to say that Mike and Casey will be in the bottom two. 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I just finished watching the clips on YouTube. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Crystal's and Lee's duet! If they record an entire album of duets, I will buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!