Tuesday, May 4, 2010

China Talk: Mixed



Just something short and sweet for your Tuesday morning. (And look! China Talk Tuesday...ON A TUESDAY! Just 'cause we like to mix it up here at Casa LoLo...keep you guessing.)

Last weekend, we had the most marvelous time - we packed our two kidlets into the car and drove into Chinatown to meet with some friends of ours and their five kidlets for dim sum and some general wandering.

We had a great time, and I'll go into more detail later so that should you ever find yourself in Chinatown in Manhattan and in want of a good nibble...you'll know where to go.

However, the story I wanted to relate today took place just after we left our friends for the day and went our separate ways to find our cars. To reward Siu Jeun and Ming Wai for a day (mostly) drama free, we stopped into a small bakery and picked out a few fruit drinks to share during our walk back to the car. I entertained Siu Jeun while Ming Wai and Lo Gung went up to order the drinks.

When they returned, Lo Gung was laughing. Apparently, a woman standing at the counter had struck up a conversation with him that went something like this:

Is that your daughter? She's so pretty! 


(Of course, it was all in Chinese, so it sounded more like "Haih mh haih neih go neuih? Hou leng ah!")

Our favorite part came next:

Keuih "mix" dat hou leng!

Essentially, the woman said "She mixed up so pretty!"

It made our little Ming Wai sound like an art experiment...but we still had to agree. And chuckle.

(Most people can't tell that Ming Wai's parents look so VERY different from each other...unless they also have a husband that looks VERY different from themselves and recognize their own children's traits in my children.)

9 comments:

  1. She's like a muffin mix!!

    Really, you and Lo Gung don't look that different from each other, genetically. Dark, thick hair. Olive skin. Tall and muscular. And Ming Wai looks SO much like you in that last picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to comment on how beautiful she is. Every time you post a picture of her I swear she has gotten more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!! I love that. She mixed up so pretty. That's funny. I do have one kid that if I take him out without siblings, he will fool the little old asian ladies. It's Jeremy. The rest of my kids show it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mixed-up pretty! I love it. People have sometimes asked if Jarrah is "mixed." I always want to say "Yes, she's got a chocolate coating with a creamy, nougat-y center." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're daughter and son are adorable! Thanks for sharing that cute story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I love it! Mix dat hou leng, hahaha! She is really hou leng --true enough! :)

    A couple of times when Josh was younger and we were out, --just me, Josh, and the helper --other helpers would ask ours if Josh is mixed, not knowing that I could understand what they`re saying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These most recent pics are just great Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahaha... I can totally relate! Or, my husband can totally relate.
    When he's alone with the kids, he gets stopped all the time by older chinese ladies telling him he has very pretty daughters. He often wonders if he should start a samurai sword collection to scare of future suitors.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!