Tuesday, July 27, 2010

China Talk Tuesday: “Niu Niu”

Hello, everybody, and a very happy Tuesday to you! Today I would like to talk to you about books. Books in Chinese. But one book, in particular. This book is called “Niao Niao” and was written by Manuela Olten. It was then translated, I believe, by Wang Xing.

You must understand two things before I proceed:

1) I did NOT choose this book. The kids and I went to the library yesterday and happened to find a stack of Chinese children’s books sitting on one of the tables. Siu Jeun pulled this bright orange one out, with the funny boy on the front, and decided it had to come home with us.  All I saw was a funny boy, holding a roll of toilet paper.

2) I do not, by any stretch of the imagination, read Chinese. I can recognize less than 10 characters. “Niao” is not one of those characters.

IMG_6886 

That night, when we all gathered in Ming Wai’s bed for our bedtime story, Lo Gung walks in with two of the books the kids had picked out. One was a sweet little one about a rabbit who loves his mother. The other was this one. Siu Jeun’s book.

He started with the title. In Cantonese, it’s pronounced “Niu Niu.”

Heh. I know that one, when you put it that way.

It. means. pee.

If you don’t like potty humor, please stop reading now. (Myrnie, this means you.)

IMG_6887

(This makes me blush…mostly because when I was four, I met a girl who was JUST as proud as our little female friend up in that picture that she could pee standing up. So, so strange.)

(Myrnie, I DID warn you.)

The entire book, start to finish, is about the various, appropriate (and inappropriate) places this child finds to pee.  Public toilets, bathtubs, pools, his own potty at home…he does it all.

IMG_6888

(His mother covers public toilets with plenty of paper, so he won’t get his bum dirty.)

 

IMG_6890

Finally, his mother trusts him to go alone into the men’s lav. He’s faced with a row of weird toilets, hanging on the walls. He’s never seen them before, since he’s never been in a men’s lav before.

He very carefully covers them with paper, since he’s sure they’re filthy, and then proceeds to sit and do his bi’dness.

IMG_6889

The end.

I was blushing. I was snorting. I was trying very hard not to be aghast.

Siu Jeun? Well, let’s just say this is the FIRST time he’s sat through story time, RIVETED by what was on the page.

Oy. Does it really start this young?!

11 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. That's all I have to say. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy humor? Why yes, they laugh at bodily noises at a very young age as well as practice them to the best of their ability. Yours might take a little longer because he has an older sister. But trust me, he will get there eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it does. It really does.

    Just today I caught one of mine using our friends lawn as a toilet.

    Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does start that young. And sometimes it ends in a few years and sometimes it lasts for what seems to be forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.

    Kaylin wishes she could pee standing up. She saw a boy friend do it and then tried to do it herself a few times afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BwwwwaaaHaHaHaHaHaHa! *gasp* BwwwaaaHaHaHaHaHa! (I am so glad I have a girl.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ewww on the last picture!

    I had the most horrible experience taking Z to a Port-a-Potty when we went blueberry-picking. I guess it was "clean" enough as far as port-a-potties go, but I still used disinfectant wet wipes AND still lined the seat with toilet paper for Z to sit on. When I was crouching down to pick Z up, my bum brushed against the urinal to one side (SHIVERS!!!!! EWWWWW! GAG!)... It was dry, but still... EWWW!!!! (Sorry if this was TMI.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious! Glad I didn't bring it home though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, *wiping tears* my. I needed a good laugh. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's hilarious!
    I don't know what I would have done, though. Laugh or be mortified.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL! Those are the most awesome pics. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!