Tuesday, August 24, 2010

LoLo Castle: Foyer Table

We are still slowly figuring out how we want to decorate and use the space in our new home. A table here, a rug there, a few chairs there…that’s the way it goes!

A few weeks ago, Lo Gung and I ventured into a local shop called Buddha Belly. The Owner/Buyer/Shopkeeper  travels to Bali once or twice a year to make her purchases, and then rolls it out into the shop throughout the year. In addition to her awesome merchandise, she has a killer sales tactic: If you look at an item too long, she carries it up to the register to “help you out.” And once it’s there…you might as well buy it!

When we were poking around, we came across the Clearance Corner, which is pretty much our favorite spot in ANY store. There were some sweet flip flops, some little statues, and some gorgeous tables. All with SERIOUS mark-downs.  After some hemming and hawing (and some kind-hearted coercion from the shopkeeper) we ended up with a lightweight wooden kitty statue for Ming Wai’s room (I think it was $3!). There was this one table, that we absolutely loved…but you know how it goes. Clearance is un-returnable, and we had no idea if the table with fit in the space we had.

 

The next weekend, we couldn’t get that table out of our minds! Originally over $1,000, and made out of (delicious smelling) teakwood, it was marked down to just $100. So, we popped out the measuring tape and measured the space – 4’5” , and 2 feet deep.

Armed with our measurements and our noses (did I mention how nice the table smells?! Like incense!), we ventured back into the shop. The entire Clearance Corner was empty…except for the two tables!

And wouldn’t you know it – the one we loved was exactly the size we were looking for?

 

It’s destiny, y’all.

IMG_7006

It’s the perfect height for guests to leave their purses, keys, and what-nots. I think it was called an “altar table” – it’s several inches taller than your average dining table…it comes up to my waist.

IMG_7012 IMG_7013

 

We love it! And so does Ming Wai.

On top of the table: A bunch of “onion grass”, from the same shop, that was on sale for only about $3. Two crystal balls, hand-painted on the inside, from a trip to China. Also, two miniature replicas of the Stone Warriors in Xi'an, also from the same trip to China.

PS – I’m sorry for the pink tint to all the pictures…I opened the front door to get more light…and the front door is bright red. Therefore, all my light…was bright read. Heh. Go figure!

9 comments:

  1. The table is beautiful. I'm glad it was still there when you went back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! That is perfectly you. Emma says hi to her long lost friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I am in love with what I see of your amazing house. Can you take us on a pictorial tour????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my lands, I LOVE it. It's the perfect height to place purses and keys and whatnot. Are you going to place a catch-all basket or bowl on there at some point? Or leave it clean for the guests?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It fits perfectly...and I applaud you for keeping it clear for over 2 weeks now. A major feat, in my book! :) Didn't you say these items from Bali are crafted by artisans?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love it! And Sariah was next to me and squealed with delight at seeing T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that table too, and that "perfect height" is the height I'm looking for as well for multiple tables.


    and the lines and the curves - *swoon*

    the red tint...heh...yeah, watch out for red doors, and red brick, and red walls, and red shirts...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it is LOVELY! I've said this before, but oh how I would love to have to worry over what to fill space (that we don't have!) with... Hah!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!