I love to be in the kitchen. Have I ever told you that? It’s my command station…and it gets me closer to the food than anywhere else in the house. Win-win!
Last week, I had the opportunity to host a baby shower for a friend. She has two children, within months of my own children, and now has added this brand new hatchling to the mix. I hear life at their house is pretty crazy right now!
(This dude was my right-hand-man in the kitchen while I was getting ready. This is called PEEK A BOO, MOMMY!)
(And this one’s called NOBODY’S GONNA CATCH ME RAWR!! Please, nobody tell him about ponies, ok? Or motorcycles? Or things that can be ridden FAST that actually MOVE.)
The day before the party found me mixing, pouring and baking up a storm. There was a fabulous apple cake, a recipe from my Great Grandma Susie. I tried my hand at making Karen’s Sugar Cookies. I whipped up (heh) a cheese ball, whizzed up some artichoke dip, and baked up some bread. On the day of the party, I frosted the cookies, sliced up the bread, and popped open a jar of last year’s marmalade.
I also decided it’s not a party until there’s at least 3 pounds of cream cheese involved. *erp*
I also got it into my head that the party would be a complete and utter FAIL if I didn’t make a bunting.
I blame craft blogs.
Lucky for me, neither I nor the Mom of Honor like kitschy baby showers right now. Gimme cake, gimme cookies, gimme friends…and hold off on anything involving diapers full of melted candy or blurry worksheets full of animal-ettes you’ve never heard of.
The adults were able to enjoy their cookies and cheese ball in peace while the kids were relegated to the deck. a win-win for all! The party was in an open-house format, so we had a steady rotation of faces for a few hours. We all had a great time! Just about 15 minutes before things were scheduled to wrap up, Siu Jeun found me and politely asked for his pacifier and blankey – he was going to bed, thankyouverymuch. He’d had enough.
And after the party…comes the clean-up. Many thanks to my little brother who snapped this fantastically awful shot of me…basically GUARANTEEING that I would take scissors to my own hair the next day. (Ooh, I haven’t told you about that yet? It’s good. I promise.)
I told him he had to come and eat a cookie or he might die of heartbreak. They were that good. Lucky for him, he can walk here in 10 minutes. *phew* He got his cookie, plus a few for my mother, and nobody died, of heartbreak or anything else.
(And the makeup. Oh, dear, the raccoon eyes. I just don’t have words. For this sad state of affairs, I blame Siu Jeun!)
If you're going to measure pounds of cream cheese, I want pounds of sugar too :)
ReplyDeleteAnd PSHAW, you know you always look gorgeous!
Fantastic!! AND it is true. Gimme great food, and you've got the makings of a wonderful party.
ReplyDeleteHey, you do look gorgeous, lady.
Okay, what does it say about me that I think you look sexy and fabulous in that photo, queen of your castle? :)
ReplyDeleteAnd, hello--did you take a CLASS in how to take gorgeous food photos? I am totally serious. I want to learn how to do what you do, with the mouthwatering photos that will have me scrambling to the kitchen for my breakfast now. Those shower foods look SCRUMMY.
Lovely post!