(All photos courtesy of Robert Dotson)
Halloween has come…and gone again. *phew* Friday was spent in a sort of a suspension. I took the kids to their weekly music class (held at one of our churches nearby). The class was only half an hour this week, followed by a small party. Right. Nice. Usually we would go home after that, but Lo Gung was home with a flu, so we stayed out as long as possible to let him focus on the work he had to get done. We hit up the thrift store and found some inexpensive wooden frames I want to use in my upstairs hallway. After that, we walked across the parking lot to Fred Meyer’s and bought some black spray paint (for afore mentioned frames). The kids were, of course, still in their costumes from the morning’s party. They got quite a bit of attention, which always makes a mama happy.
Friday afternoon, Lo Gung slept for a few hours and I babysat for a friend. Thus ended Friday.
Saturday, Lo Gung was up and at ‘em! He had a service project in the morning at church, spreading bark, so I loaded the kids up and headed to the YMCA for my weekly yoga (LURVE) and some Me Time. (I can’t say enough good things about our local Y. The kids both love the kids care there, and I love the classes I take. Win- win!) Saturday evening was our Halloween party at church.
Dun dun DUNNNNNNN.
For years, I’ve listened to Mormon Mommies say how CRAZY the yearly parties are. What a HEADACHE they get. I could never understand!
I’d never tried taking Siu Jeun to one of those things before. Wow.
There was a buffet for everyone to kick off the evening. Siu Jeun discovered Li’l Smokies, wrapped in crescent rolls. His world will never be the same. He ate four off of Lo Gung’s plate, plus three more off mine. Then he polished off about 2/3 of the food from Lo Gung’s plate, and whatever he could snitch from the plate Ming Wai and I were sharing.
Ming Wai ate…a half a strawberry. And a bite of a cookie. And thus we see why Ming Wai is perfectly content to roll around on a couch for hours at a time watching movies, and Siu Jeun can never, ever, ever sit still for more than a few minutes at a time. It’s all a matter of energy needing to be burned!
And then…it was time for the door-to-door trick or treating. Oh. My. Goodness. I thought my head would explode.
At every door, Siu Jeun was absolutely amazed that there was more! candy! for! his! bucket! And at each, and every, door, he attempted to sit down in the middle of the hall and eat the contents of his bucket. This was difficult because he was sitting in the middle of a crowd of sugar-crazed kids intent on racing from door to door to get as much candy as possible.
Ming Wai calmly took her candy from each door, silently watching her bucket fill.
And then, blessedly, the night was over. Next year, we might bring a leash for Siu Jeun. Every few doors he would walk a few paces away from me, forget I was right behind him, and then go tearing down the hall screaming for his mommy. Ahhhh, the joys of toddlers hopped up on chocolate!
(Sunday was MUCH nicer. We had some friends over for dinner and Lo Gung made some really, really yummy Chinese food. We had initially planned on taking the kids around to see our neighbors but as the doorbell started ringing, Ming Wai really enjoyed opening it for everyone and watching me hand out candy. We ended up with just a nice, quiet evening at home! When the kids first started coming, she asked me why they were wearing their costumes TONIGHT? “Well, tonight the Big Kids are going out trick or treating, honey.” “….Oh. Ok! When the doorbell rings, I get to open it!” Heh. I know this won’t last forever, and I’m savoring it while I can!)
Ah, Li'l Smokies. Too funny! They are adorable in their costumes! I totally agree about enjoying that they don't know they're missing out on More Trick Or Treating Opportunities. Ssh. We'll just let that go for now :)
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! I would never have thought up the "big kids" ploy. Go with that as long as you can:)
ReplyDeleteHaha, church parties. I've never really thought they were much of a headache, either, but my kid is kinda...like Ming Wai.
ReplyDeleteLi'l Smokies! I never buy them, but they're one of my favorite party foods. Gilberto just discovered them, too, so I might surprise him one of these days with a random dinner, lol.
ReplyDeleteFun! Isn't Halloween tiring? It's like one big whirlwind!! That leaves you with way too much candy. :)
ReplyDelete"And then, blessedly, the night was over." -Bwahahaha!
ReplyDeleteMing Wai looks lovely, by the way. =)