Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Little Salty Fishes and a GIVEAWAY!!

November 2010 007November 2010 009November 2010 010November 2010 011
The youth in our congregation had an activity last week where their leaders hoped to expose them to foods from all over the world. They contacted anyone and everyone they could think of who had lived or worked overseas (either as a citizen or as a missionary, etc.) and asked us to provide a small dish of something…interesting. Something that might challenge their palates. I decided that a small dish of 鹹魚 (little salty fishes). They are fish. Tiny ones. That have been dried. To prepare them, grab a handful and rinse them off. Mix them up with a splash of oil and a splash of soy sauce, then steam them. Mine can’t seem to get soft enough if they’re just steamed with the rice, so I ended up putting them into a tiny pot with some water and cooking them until they were tender.

My kids love them! I never did hear if the kids at church liked them. Some people have issues with eating entire…animals. You know – with eyes and everything. Heh.

Now. For the GIVEAWAY. CSN has contacted me to do ANOTHER giveaway for them. My peeps, I'm so excited!! Because of my fancy Preferred Blogger Status (and your great responses to past giveaways), we're up to $55! All you need to do is leave a comment on this post, and I will choose a winner on Friday (11/26) in the morning (Black Friday!). Comments will close Thanksgiving, at midnight. The giveaway is open to anyone, but the gift certificate code will not cover international fees, so if you're a friend from Far Away, please be prepared to cover those yourself.

$55 can get you quite far on your Christmas list if you shop carefully at CSN, and they have some great deals right now!

 Happy holidays, y'all, and good luck!

19 comments:

  1. Oh I will respond to free money. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...those fish sound really good :) Remember when you brought home dried squid and I ate a bag full of them, and then blew up another 5 pounds the next day? Good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your preferred blogger status. I would love to benefit.

    I wouldn't have eaten entire fish. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,I am a new follower to your blog.I would also love to be counted!Thanks so much!
    jacksoncrisman@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in :) I love CSN Stores!
    dgoodridge84@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love csn! They have everything you could want.

    hewella1 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, me, me!! I need some of those rain boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to get some cash toward new baking supplies (rolling pin, cookie cutters) for the upcoming holiday baking season.
    Have a happy Thanksgiving.
    havenera at gmail .com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I say ADORABLE pot holder!!! Tee hee hee. I woul dlove to win. Have a great Thanksgiving, and hope to see you all soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would love to win, I would pick out something for my daughter for Christmas.
    ykatrina at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm already brainwashed, so I wouldn't be able to eat whole fish, but I'm all for getting my kids to eat new stuff!

    Oh, and count me in on the giveaway. I haven't done shopping therapy in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the awesome giveaway! I love CSN!

    eemoody77 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count me in! I lived in Asia for awhile and never even tried these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the chance! We love coookware.com and this would be so helpful for Christmas gifts :)

    deeg131 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Took me a minute to figure out that "bits 'o opinion" were the comments! Of course! I wanted to say that I went to a lovely Asian smorgasbord and went out of my way to eat little fishes with eyes and everything and they were mighty tasty, too! Life is short! Try something new everyday, if you can! Arly H.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like my little fishes deep fried. Crunchy, yum! LOL! That's probably disgusting to most.

    PS - Don't worry, I know I missed the dateline for the draw.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!