Y’all, welcome to Elton John week. Bring on the bling!
1. Scotty McCreery (Country Comfort) – Totally country, totally Scotty, totally classic.
2. Naima Adedapo (I’m Still Standing) Jamaican style. One thing I will say for Naima, she has chosen a niche and she’s sticking with it. She may have over-done it this week by doing the whole thing in an accent that she doesn’t have when she speaks (instead of sneaking some reggae into the middle), but only time will tell what America thinks.
3. Paul McDonald (Rocket Man) – Boy brought back his posie suit!! I’m not sure this is the right song for him…something about his voice reminds me of Elton John on this song, so it doesn’t sound too much like HIM, you know?
4. Pia Toscano (Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me) – If she was going to ignore the judge’s advice to skip the ballads for a week or two, she didn’t a great night to do it. She nailed that.
5. Stefano Langone (Tiny Dancer) – Remember, last week how they told him to reach out and touch his audience. So, he grabbed Jennifer’s hand at the end, which was more than just a little cheezy.
6. Lauren Alaina (Candle in the Wind) – She’s taking this pretty straight, with her little country spin on it, and it’s lovely. Just lovely.
7. James Durbin (Saturday Night’s Alright) – This boy is rocking it! And he’s teaching the audience a new dance. And throwing a mic stand. And standing on the red baby grand. And now…the piano is shooting flames in the air. And ending on a high note. He does know what he wants!
8. Thia Meghia (Daniel) – Alright, she’s winning me over. This song is spot on, non-pageant-ish, and just great. I think she’s actually going to cry!
9. Casey Abrams (Your Song) – Bear boy got a trim. Hair’s shorter, beard’s shorter, and he is showing some heart tonight. He just makes me so happy. Since this is my blog, I have absolutely no obligation to be unbiased. Y’all, Casey makes me smile. He is showing some range tonight, and some soul and some sort of gentle, and he’s doing it up right. No more scary lights or grimacing. No more scary, period. The grimace, honestly, is still there…but it’s not affected. It’s just how he sings, and he sings oh so well.
10. Jacob Lusk (Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word) – Heartfelt, grand, huge…but I wish he’d stop pulling his face around like that. But, still. So big it felt epic.
11. Hayley Reinhart (Benny and the Jets) – Closing out the night is Hayley, perched on the piano. And you know what, it works for her. She’s so campy that this is the most relaxed she’s looked all season. And by that, I mean this is the first performance from her I’ve really enjoyed this season. (Like I said – I’m biased and opinionated. Heh.) That was good.
My favorites tonight…Casey, Hayley, Tia
In danger…Naima, Stefano.
Remember – there are 11 kids tonight, and next week there will only be 9. Go vote for your favorites!
So, your turn. Who did you love, what did you think?
Funny. I did not like Thia's performance in the least. It was so sleepy and boring. And I really don't like that Jacob Lusk either. I'm thinking tonight we are saying goodbye to Naima & Thia. I'd love to say goodbye to Jacob but I don't think America is ready to let him go yet. Time will tell!
ReplyDelete