Over Memorial Day weekend, my father showed up and gave us a few hours of his time…doing manual labor. We had him cutting, ripping, and removing sod. When he polished that job off, he grabbed a shovel and “just for the fun of it” dug holes for all of our new shrubs. The next day, my brother in law showed up to help finish the barking in the yard, and our new front yard was done! (I’ll have to show you guys. It’s AWESOME. Or at least, it’s way better than it was before…)
Anyhow, the next day was Sunday, and I was in charge of dessert for our family get together. I asked my father what he wanted, and (with a twinkle in his eye, and a nod at his filthy dirty jeans) he said “mud pie.”
(Chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting rosettes)
I couldn’t pull off mud pie..but I could do dirt cakes.
When I showed up with these babies, I gave my little brother a peek. “What do they look like?” Trying not to offend me, he said, “Umm..chocolate cupcakes?” “You mean, they don’t look like they’re covered in dirt clods?” “Well….YEAH. But I didn’t think that was the answer you were looking for!”
Silly brother. Dirt clods are ALWAYS the answer.
Oh, and check out this cupcake carrier. My father saw it at Costco and just knew that the teal one had my name allllll over it. I can carry 36 cupcakes, no problem. Or slap in some handy dandy liners and carry pies. Or brownies. Or use just one tier, and a liner, and carry a huge cake. The possibilities are endless. And now my life is complete.
Ming Wai has been eyeing my new hobby, and decided that she, too, would like to decorate cupcakes in her spare time. I gave her a bag full of icing, and a plate to practice on. Mostly, she just decorated herself, but I really don’t think she minded that much. I saw her trying to eat her wrists and sucking on the cuffs of her shirt. Heh. Atta girl.
Oh, and these guys? Well, a friend asked me to bake these for her dessert that night. Her brother in law was freshly home from a tour overseas, and she thought a dozen cupcakes would make a nice end to their Welcome Home meal with him that night. I didn’t want the cupcakes to be too girly for our soldier, so I eschewed my favorite little rosettes (see above) and just went with a little dollop of icing. That looked plain, though, so I added a jelly bean to each one…which, of course, made them into little flowers. *facepalm*
Oh well, at least they were tasty!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!