Today? Oh, kids. Today. SJ was just so tired. From about 12:30pm on, every disappointing thing just made him melt into a puddle of distraught tears. By dinner time, I decided it was just time to bump the clock forward and go straight to bedtime. We finished eating, and threw the kids into the bath. After that, it was time for the baby to feed and Lo Gung gave the kids some fruit.
Brushed the teeth...read some stories...lights were out by 8:10. Success! I threw the baby around my hip, and went downstairs to make some cookies for church tomorrow. As I was scooping up the dough, I heard wailing from upstairs. I quickly threw the baby into Lo Gung's lap and ran up the stairs.
I was greeted by SJ, standing in his bedroom doorway, clutching his dirty white blanket, and sobbing. There was a little blood on the blanket, and a little more on his lip. I scooped him up and took him into the bathroom to get him cleaned up. I dabbed at him with a clean towel and tried to calm him down. He was trying to explain to me what had happened, but I couldn't understand him. Suddenly, I stopped. By that point, Lo Gung had made it upstairs. "Dude...where is your tooth???!"
Lo Gung found it on his bedroom floor. SJ apologized over and over, but all I could do was hug him. "Uhh...dude? It doesn't matter how sorry you...I can't fix this. You won't have a tooth for the next three years!"
The story finally came out - He was jumping on his bed, and must have decided to land face down on his pillow. He miscalculated, and instead landed teeth-first on the corner of his bed stand, which sits at the head of his bed. (Well, it USED to. Now it's across the room, tucked away in a corner. We're contemplating taking away his entire bed. He has had bad luck with mattresses - two years ago, he wrapped his neck in the cord from some window blinds, and jumped off a bed. He had a scar around his neck for months.)
We're lucky that our dentist is a family friend. I called him up, just to see what the next step was. There is no next step. A little Tylenol, another hug...and a tooth in a baggie. We haven't decided if we're going to present this one to the Tooth Fairy for her blessings. We're still just a little peeved!
Full Disclosure - I typed this up while watching ANTM, and there is so much in my head that isn't translating to paper. It's so hard to see your kids make mistakes...and so heart-breaking that there are no do-overs in life. I just keep telling myself - at least it was something that will grow back. No broken bones. Yet. With SJ, you just never know. But now...his outsides match his crazy insides! *sigh*
Pictures of the new smile will come later...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!