Baby Ying Ying's birthday happened to fall on Chinese New Year's Eve this year. There was so much celebrating, we couldn't even fit it all in! We decided cake was more pressing than presents, so we will just have to stretch her birthday across a few more days. I'm sure she won't mind.
Today was a really packed day. I got Ming Wai off to school at 8:15, then spent some time making pineapple jam to fill the tarts I want to make for a party tomorrow night. At 9:45, my parents called and we chatted for about 20 minutes. At 10:15, my visiting teachers (two ladies from church, assigned as companions, and assigned to visit me every month to leave goodwill and a lesson with me) showed up. I was still in my PJ's, but they don't care! I think we all prefer our visits to go like that...it makes us feel better about the messy kitchens we left at home! We had a lovely visit while our kids played. When they left, it was time for Ying Ying's nap. Shortly after I put her down, one of the Moms from Ming Wai's class came over so we could work on some furniture we are making for a school auction coming up. (I can't wait to show it to you!)
We worked until 1, when my in laws came over to watch the kids so I could run to a friend's house for a haircut. Forty-five minutes later, I was back and running between the kitchen (helping Ma), Ying Ying (who missed me), and the garage (still working on that furniture). Phew!
At 3, someone left to get Ming Wai from school. The rest of the afternoon was spent doing some New Years cleaning, helping Ming Wai with her homework, putting together a birthday cake for Baby Ying Ying, and staying out of Ma's way while she put the finishing touches on our feast for tonight. She really outdid herself this year! Six dishes, and all of them were delicious.
(My New Years display on the dining room table. One of the oranges had her leaves forcibly removed. SJ happened to walk by while I was getting out the table linens. Before I knew what was happening, he plopped his bum in the nearest chair and started trying to get the orange open. Starting by removing the stem. Poor kid - Ma was so disappointed! She only bought two. They aren't for eating - they are special, to display at New Years. Maybe he can eat them in a few days. Ha!)
These trays of treats are common in Chinese homes at New Years. I was told that they should have either 6 or 8 different treats, all of them sweet, to represent a sweet future in the new year. On offer this year (clockwise from bottom center): Candied lotus seed, guava hard candies, candied winter melon, dried cranberries, candied coconut, and candied lotus root. With the oranges ("gat") in the middle, representing luck. (Even if our lucky "gat" weren't very lucky this year!)
The evening's spread!
In the right column, we have (top to bottom): Broccoli, Lettuce with Shitake Mushrooms, and Pigs Feet with Black Moss. In the left column, we have: boiled lotus root (from the night's soup), Salt Baked Chicken, and steamed fish.
Pre dinner hamming.
Post dinner carnage. OM NOM NOM.
(One of the benefits of eating large feasts at home - tiny ones are free to roam around and play peek a boo after dinner.)
I'm sorry. This poor fish cracked me up. He's all, "Dude. I'm cool. No big. How YOU doin'?" It should be noted that my mother in law was mortified that I took this picture.
One of the traditions that Lo Gung made sure we followed this year was to make sure that there were a few bites of fish left at the end of the meal. In this way, you make sure that your new year is prosperous (the word for fish sounds like the word for money). I'm sure there were a few bites of fish left somewhere in that bowl. I drained off the sauce, and bagged up the bones. We will throw them away tomorrow, after the New Year is safely underway!
After the dinner was eaten, the dishes were cleaned, the kids were upstairs playing and the adults were draped over any available furniture (attempting to digest the large amounts of food we had just consumed), it was time for...birthday cake! (As a child who was born on a major holiday, I can appreciate the special care that must be taken when a birthday coincides with a day already riddled with traditions! Ying Ying's birthday will certainly not fall on New Years Eve often, but I think chocolate cake may become a new traditional dessert for our family, all the same.)
At 7:30, we rallied the troops, dimmed the lights, and lit the candle. My baby...is no longer my baby.
She enjoyed her cake immensely.
Finally, after cake was done, it was time for the traditional Writing of the Characters. (My husband's aunt sent me a document yesterday that outlined all of the traditions associated with the 15 days of the Chinese New Year celebration. I had a bit too much fun with it, and tried to incorporate as many of the traditions today as I could!) According the document, the oldest educated male in the home ought to write out the character for "blessings", and affix it to the front door. So, with the last two pieces of red construction paper in the house...we proceeded.
Happy New Year, everyone! Wishing you a very happy year of the Horse.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!