Today's Beehive lesson was a fun one for me. (At church, I teach the 12-13 year old girls every Sunday. It is an un-paid, volunteer position.) The topic I chose for today was Why Am I Here? February's focus is on the Plan of Salvation, or the plan that Heavenly Father gave us to help us safely navigate our way from His presence, through our mortal life, and back to Him.
To start off the lesson, we made a list of ways people might answer that question had they never heard of the Plan of Salvation or learned about the gospel, and again using the lens of the gospel knowledge that we have. The first list had the usual suspects: We are here to make stuff, buy stuff, wear stuff, obtain stuff, and keep ourselves as physically attractive as possible. Once we changed the parameters, and answered the question with the Gospel in mind, the answers changed quite a bit. We are here to gain bodies, have trials, raise children, gain as much knowledge as we can, and follow all of the commandments.
In the scriptures, we are told that we are here to have joy. To become like Heavenly Father. To be tested. The girls knew all these things, though I'm sure that their understanding of these rote answers will deepen as their lives carry them through the various experiences that test us and try us and make us into who we want to be.
One of the most interesting parts of the lesson, to me, was when I brought up kids. We noted that people who don't have the Gospel might never have kids. It would ruin their figure. Kids would ruin their stuff. It takes a lot of time and money to raise munchkins. One little girl halfway raised her hand. "But what about population?!" Ah. My dear. What about all the work that has to be done? "Well, I will do it!" "And when you are gone?!" "..."
Exactly. 7 years into this mothering gig, and my body will never be the same. Whatever competitive edge I had in the workforce straight out of college is now gone, small as it was. My hair is turning grey, and I'm barely in my 30's. I went through a period, when SJ was 3, where I had migraines. Daily. Just from the sheer frustration that resulted in trying to get that little monkey to follow simple directions.
And I wouldn't change it for anything. Not anything. These kids are mine, and I love them fiercely. At the same time, though, I am here to work out my OWN salvation, not theirs. While raising them, and loving them, and nurturing them, I need to not lose sight of my own spirituality. I need to make sure I am taking the time to read my scriptures, finding quiet moments to ponder what I learn, and making sure I am in frequent communication with my Father in Heaven. Only then can I continue to play my part in the Plan.
So. Those were my thoughts today. As long as this is my space for journaling, I thought I would get them down here!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!