After a shower, we ran to Costco for our groceries, then picked up Ernie and Mimi (cousins) on the way home. The big kids played while BooBoo baby napped. I spent the afternoon contacting clients and answering questions. After the cousins left, it was time for the big kids to do their chores, and me to cook dinner.
The kids and I had a serious talk this morning, as a result of a serious chat I had with Lo Gung last night. We talked about what I want my kids to learn. I will use a broken pen and a broken toy to illustrate.
If a toy breaks, Siu Jeun will happily throw it away, while Ming Wai saves it as a treasure. If I offer a broken pen to them, as a gift, Ming Wai will refuse it while Siu Jeun would accept it as a treasure.
Ming Wai hordes everything while Siu Jeun collects and desires all he sees. There is a difference there, one that I am trying to address.
To help Siu Jeun, the Daddy Shop is closed. (This is a shop we created to help control where and how the kids spent their weekly allowance. Daddy keeps the shop stocked with small toys of our choosing, and it opens once a week for business. The kids get the same weekly allowance. As of this morning, Ming Wai has $45 in her wallet, as she usually buys nothing. Siu Jeun has $1.50 in his wallet, as he spends his money as soon as possible.) So, the Daddy Shop is closed. It will not re-open until it is easy for Siu Jeun to put money in his wallet and leave it there.
Ming Wai is more difficult, but an opportunity came up tonight that helped her. A new toy came in the mail, one sent to Lo Gung to review. It is similar to one Ming Wai already has, and Lo Gung had already told her it was coming and that it would be hers. Instead, I asked her to take the package upstairs to give to her visiting cousin, Taylor, who had come for dinner. I explained to Ming Wai that this was a great opportunity to practice being generous and sharing. She agreed, grinning nervously. Afterwards, I asked her how she felt. "Weird." Happy her cousin was happy, but still a little sad to give something away. Which is about right. We will keep practicing.
In other news, I'm also on a mission to help my kids learn more life skills. Namely, how to clean. They are all a little older, and ready to learn. I am going to talk to my house cleaner and either cut her visits in half, or do away with them completely. I haven't decided yet. Today, Siu Jeun cleaned windows and mirrors while Ming Wai polished all the bathroom sinks. All in a day's work!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!