Thursday, September 20, 2007

Food is the most interesting thing, nowadays


I know you're probably getting sick of seeing my BBJ, sans top, eating. In my defense, it's just about the only time I can get a picture of her smiling anymore! So, either get used to a blog full of pictures of her retreating backside, or...enjoy your daily dose of rice, chopsticks, and a finger lickin' good time!

I added this one in black and white, just to remind you that Halloween is coming up. This picture just struck me as scary some how. The rice carnage, the bodiless hand...creepy, right?

Oh, and BBJ is practicing her "get out of my face, paparazzi!" pose. Because she'll be famous, someday. She understands this and is taking measures to cope.


This was my fabulous find at our local Asian Mart - fresh jackfruit! I used to love to eat jackfruit when I lived in Hong Kong, and I haven't ever seen it fresh over here. Yes, there is canned jackfruit and dried jackfruit...but if you've ever tried jackfruit, and know how truly delicious it is, you'll understand my reticence. What if it's nasty? What if it's slimy? What if it ruins my impression of this delicious, fragrant fruit?

dictionary.com defines jackfruit as
1.a large, tropical, milky-juiced tree, Artocarpus heterophyllus, of the mulberry family, having stiff and glossy green leaves, cultivated for its very large, edible fruit and seeds.
2.the fruit of this tree, which may weigh up to 70 lb. (32 kg).

I just call it delicious. The fruit tastes like a cross between pineapple and oranges. The fruit is filled with little white columns that bleed a milky, sticky sap that is a bugger to get off your hands! The little pods of fruit, hidden in these columns, is orange and each pod of fruit hides its own little seed.
So, go forth, find jackfruit...and send any spare grains of rice you find my way - BBJ eats them all!

1 comment:

  1. The last picture of Teah is the BEST! Nothing like the paparazzi to give a kid a complex.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!