Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How to Make a Thank You Note Stand Out


I know many of you are in the same dilemma this time of year: You have so many thank you notes to write and send out...but how can you make sure that yours will stand out?


Just because I love you guys, I have broken it down to a few very easy to follow steps.


1. When you receive your gift, make sure to look the giver in the eye and thank her sincerely.


2. Take a few moments, that same day, to craft a card specifically for this person. They spent so much energy finding the perfect gift for you, you ought to put the same kind of thought into your Thank You.


3. As soon as you are able to take a few moments to sit down quietly, open the gift, and really savor your reaction. Write your note right away. Use your neatest penmanship - handwritten is best.


4. As soon as possible, hand deliver the note to the gift giver. They will appreciate the gesture and the thought that went into it.


5. Three days later, while cleaning up your kitchen counter, discover your carefully hand-written, hand-made card. Realize that you made two handcrafted beautiful cards, and gave the gift giver the blank one. As soon as the buzz disappears from your ears, call the sweet woman. Listen as she graciously laughs it off and expresses her appreciation that there is another person out there as scattered as she is.


6. As soon as possible, hand-deliver the real card and try to pretend this never happened.


7. Rest assured that your hand-made, hand-written thank you note will definitely stand out in this season of gift giving and thank you notes.

5 comments:

  1. Look at it like this, she could reuse that blank card! It's like you gave her a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm glad you're scattered, too. One year I sent my Mom's (handmade) birthday card without writing anything in it. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! That is so something I would do today. I've tried to pay rent with a blank check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah. I like it. And it's true- it's like two gifts of thanks.

    Ready for that baby?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - the blank card thing, I've done it too! The really bad thing though was when I carefully wrote all the thank you notes after my Baby Shower and then found them rubber banded together on my desk where I would "remember" them a year later... how embarrassing :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!