Sunday, November 30, 2008

What the...?!

Can I just point out, please, that the little Baby Ticker on the side of my blog just informed me that I have 18 days until my due date?

Excuse me? 18 days?!

Girls - spill. I want birth stories. Specifically, I want to know the TRUTH of this Mommy Myth:

"If your first was early, all the rest will be early, and their labor and delivery times will be quicker and quicker."

From Bubba Bubbles

BBJ was born on a beautiful Friday morning approximately 38 hours after I felt my first contraction. I have no idea when the "real labor" started. All I know is I checked myself into the hospital after 12 hours of contractions, and was sent home three hours later for "lack of progress" and told to return when the contractions were so bad I could neither see nor speak during one. (That's the point when I started to cry and the nurse could NOT figure out why!) That point finally came that evening, after another 14 hours at home. My epidural was administered four hours LATER, I was declared "ready to push" another four hours after THAT...and within seconds, everyone in the room knew that BBJ was the proud owner of a head of black hair. (She crowned on the first push.) The next hour was a series of push...and wait...push...and wait, trying to get the doctor to the hospital. She was born at about 5 am on a Friday, a full six days before her due date.

From Bubba Bubbles

So, you tell me - am I looking at D-Day in about 12 days? 'Cause if I AM, there are some things I need to do first! I'm not exactly sure WHAT....but there are definitely some THINGS I need to do. (Alright, fine- what do I need to do to get ready, mamas? I don't care HOW you came by your children - blood, sweat, tears, airplanes, trains or boats...tell me what YOU did to get ready to bring them home!)

What do I need to do to get ready to bring this second one home? And was the Mommy Myth true for you, if you delivered your children? (I had my second "check" last week - I'm still at only 1 cm. Next check is on Wednesday - I'll let you know. :-))
From Bubba Bubbles

9 comments:

  1. Yes, your labor WILL be quicker. I don't know necessarily easier...although I did give birth to Carter with no epidural. (not by choice.) So "easier" doesn't come to mind with my experience....

    I was two weeks early with Matty.
    Carter never wanted to come out. I ended up being induced two days before his due date.

    Can't wait to hear YOUR big news when it happens!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My second was scheduled 2 weeks early. I guess you can't really count that one.

    But... my older sister was born 5 days before her due date. I was 9 days early. But my mom followed those up by another 5 days early, a 5 days late and 2 on their due dates. I'll let you draw your own conclusion on that.

    In prep for Garrett to come home, we rigged a complete Fort Knox set up in living room. The swing and bassinet were surrounded by a Superyard gate. But I also had a very jealous 12 month old to come home to.

    Wow. I'm really not much help at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor was induced three weeks early and they vacuumed her out. Boy did she have a huge bruise on the back of her head...ouch!

    Sydney... well you know she was taken at 28 weeks, so really I am of no help to you what so ever! Sorry and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only have one, so I can't really give you any advice. But whatever happens, I hope it goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm new here! What a great blog :) ♥ Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My last one was several days late - so who knows. But, it gets easier with each one. You know what to expect plus the body is better at it. And my best advice for bringing the second one home - have people lined up to bring food. Best gift ever.
    I'm excited to meet the new one. Get going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my run down:
    #1 day late
    #2 4 days early (quickest labor)
    #3 one week late (longest labor)
    #4 two weeks late (induced)
    #5 one week late (induced)

    And my conclusion is.... they each come when they are good and ready!

    May your little one come quick and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy1 came 5 days late. I got to the hospital at 10 am on Super Bowl Sunday. The doctor said I wasn't making progress because I was dilated but the baby wasn't moving down. He gave me a C-section at 1 PM. 3 hours later!! and I was all up for it because my best friend just went through 18 hours of labor and had the c-section anyway. So I was like, ok let's just skip the labor part and get to it.
    Then he gave me a VERTICAL incision. I'm thinking he needed to get to his Super Bowl party. #%*! Oh and after I delivered that 9 1/2 lb. bundle of boy, doc told me the next one will be bigger. (He was 8 lb. 15 oz.)Needless to say I never went back.

    I opted for planned C's with the other 2 because, honestly, I had minimal pain and easy recoveries.
    Good luck! Hoping for a quick and easy labor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are kidding me?!?! 18 DAYS!!! I go away for a week and look what happens. Oh my gosh.

    Well... just know you can always e-mail me. At least you know for sure that I can't scare you with any horrible birth experience stories.

    Hugs! And stay off your feet. (Oh, and I DID notice a massive nesting trend during your posts while I was gone. LOL.)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!