Whoo boy, do I have a doozy for you today. Lo Gung has come down with a nasty, hacky, loud cough. (Way to wrap up a staycation, right? By the end of his week home, he was so ready for some peace and quiet, he was determined to go to work, coughing or not. Heh.)
He tried a few remedies of his own, before finally calling his parents and asking their advice. (I'm glad he does that, if for no other reason than the Entertainment Factor. Their advice is, of course, not from the Canon of Old Wives Tales that I grew up with.)
This remedy was no different.
To treat a cough you should boil up this concoction, and drink it warm. Mmmm.
檸檬可樂 -Ling Mung Ho Lok (Lemon Cola)
In a small saucepan combine: 1 can of cola (we used caffeine free Pepsi...because does anyone really want to drink caffeine at 9 pm?) and lemon juice. (Fresh lemon or lime would have been better...but you work with what you got.)
(Lo Gung, feel free to chime in with how much lemon juice you used.)
Boil until the fizz is gone, ladle it into mugs, and drink up!
Oh, and when you go to bed that night, rub the soles of your feet with Vicks and wear socks to bed.
(Come on, his parents have been here nearly 20 years - you didn't honestly think they could escape ALL of our old wives tales, right?)
While I'm not positive of the effects of this concoction on a cough (Lo Gung said its main virtue was the Vitamin C from the lemon juice), it was certainly a tasty mug to sip on while watching a late night movie on the couch!
that...ummm...doesn't sound as disgusting as something my grandmother would tell me to drink. But not sure how much help it would be! :)
ReplyDeleteHow funny. I'm working on a post right now about home remedies! Great minds.
ReplyDeleteTell your sweet hubby I am a big believer in Mucinex and after breaking a rib coughing last year, I have promised myself and anyone within ear shot that I will not cough at all this year.
I've never tried this. Although, my mum's a little bit of a health freak, so I'm sure she probably balked at the idea of serving up all that sugar.
ReplyDelete