Friday, March 12, 2010

China Talk: Red Bean Things 豆沙角

(Yeah, I know - it's not Tuesday! I've obviously been unable to come up with new China tidbits for y'all every Tuesday...so I'm just going to mix them in as they come to me. Sound good?


I really wish I could tell you what these things are...but the best I can do is dau sa gok (豆沙角) . It translates into red bean (azuki) paste...corners.

So...what is a Dau Sa Gok? Well, Dau Sa is a paste made of red (azuki) beans and sugar. The wrapper (the part that's folded, and thus - gok, or corners) is made from...something magic, in my MIL's kitchen. Heh. (I cannot find any mention of these things online, but my mother in law has promised to teach me how to make them.) So...basically, a little dumpling, full of a sweet paste made of mashed up red beans and sugar...fried. And then steamed, if you aren't lucky enough to get at them fresh.

Oh, and they are delicious. Both my children love them!

Anyhow, she shows up with a bag of these things in her suitcase at least once a year. She forms them at home, fries them, and then packs them up for us. When we want to eat them, we steam them for 30 minutes...and devour. These treats are common during Chinese New Year.

Those two crescent ones up there are the "normal" shapes, perhaps because they resemble the old golden money from China? That other one...well, it's supposed to encourage your next child to be a boy.

And no I will not elaborate on that shape.

And that's all I'm going to say about that.

But they are delicious, y'all. 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Umm... umm... well, now I have nothing to say. They sound tasty though! (So...if you happen to be close by when your MIL comes to visit...does that mean family dinner at YOUR place?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like little mini moon pies? I miss the moon pies at Pike Place Market. I used to get a mini one and gobble it down right after getting dolmates at the Greek stand before it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!