Tuesday, April 13, 2010

American Idol, Week 8: Elvis!

*Spoiler alert! If you don't want to know what the kids sang this week...stop reading now.


Adam Lambert is our mentor this week....and here we go!

1. Crystal Bowersox (Saved) - This is a song that I don't know...but it's working! I mean, this girl could sing anything, and it would sound original, current and hip. (And why can nobody "sing the phonebook" this year?! Was that compliment over-used last season? Worn out its' welcome?) Lo Gung sez - she's in her style, it's great!! You can tell she's comfortable, and in her element. Great job, girl!

Randy says: Dude, that's the way to come out and give it up!
Ellen says: Fantastic!
Kara says: Another solid performance from Crystal!
Simon says: You didn't choose an obvious song, original, and congratulations once again.

2. Andrew Garcia (You Aint Nothin' But a Hound Dog) - Can Andrew put his own twist on this classic? Let's see! Hrm. Well, it's slow. And...he took out the swing. So, I guess that's a change. And in the second half...he's only singing half of the lyrics. I dunno. He's changed it, definitely, but I'm still bored. It's like something you'd hear...while eating dinner. Something catchy, but you don't have to focus on it or move to enjoy it. (And...the audience doesn't agree with me.)

Randy says: That was not good karaoke!
Ellen says: I was looking for a little more swagger. I thought you pulled it off, though!
Kara says: It's Elvis! You've gotta own it! I felt like the mic was your crutch, almost. There were some nice moments...but I wanted to feel MORE from that performance.
Simon says: I thought it was lazy, unpredictable...like the one part in a musical that nobody wants to see.

(Awww....Ryan's Mom is in town!)
3. Tim Urban (Can't Help Fallin' In Love) - Girls, I'm loving this. It's so soft, and sweet....I could totally hear this on the radio. It's not technically perfect (the constant ngah-ing at the beginning of the words is bugging Lo Gung), but...this is just melting me! I would download this. I'm gushing. *swoon*

Randy says: I actually liked it!
Ellen says: The first time I took a shot of tequila, I didn't know if I would like it or not. Then another and another. And I enjoyed it. Same with you. Beautiful. (Even Lo Gung admits it's beautiful.)
Kara says: Favorite Tim performance ever. Authentic, real.
Simon says: That, by the way, was beautiful. You have managed to go from Zero to Hero in two weeks. You don't need much - you and a guitar, good song, good arrangement.

4. Lee Dewyze (A Little Less Conversation) - Remember to sing into the mic, dude! This is interesting. Definitely his. He's trying to reach out to the audience. He's doing a great job, it's just not my cup of tea this week. I love this song because it's nice and swingy and catch-y. This....is a little too rock for me. Not jumping out of my seat, but another solid performance from Lee.

Randy says: I'm loving that you're in the zone!
Ellen says: You made that so current! It really sounded like a brand new song.
Kara says: I've never seen you GO for it, like you did tonight. I wish it was a little more playful, but the vocal was fire.
Simon says: It was about nailing the song, and that was on the money, full stop!

5. Aaron Kelly (Blue Suede Shoes) - Ouch. This song is a little too big for this big little guy. He's having fun...but it just sounds a little forced! I'm liking this laid back second section...groovy, slow, sultry. Like this part. Not sure how he should have done this...but the second section is way better than the first!

Randy says: It started off kind of weird...but that second part, in half time, fit your voice way better.
Ellen says: I thought that was a big song to take on, so A for effort!
Kara says: You're out of your comfort zone, and I like it. You seemed younger!
Simon says: I don't think it made you younger, I think it did the opposite. It was very karaoke.

6. Siobhan Magnus (Suspicious Minds) - How does she do that?! I don't even like this song...and she's giving me chills! Great ending! I don't really know what else to say about this.

Randy says: You took a few risks...and you really came alive in the half-time part.
Ellen says: You look fabulous (wha..?!) You really have a beautiful voice, and I liked it a lot.
Kara says: Siobhan has two voices! And it's getting confusing for me!  I wasn't crazy about it.
Simon says: It was like you were put in a time machine...you went back in time 20 years. The first part of the song was terrible, and when you hit some of the bigger notes later on...you didn't quite hit the notes this time. (He's right. Ouch.)
(Girl, if you can't label yourself...how on EARTH are you going to market a record. Sorry.)


7. Big Mike (In the Ghetto) - Chills, in the first two lines. That said, I don't recognize the melody in this at all. Did he change it too much? It was really good...it seemed too short...but I still get the sense that the original song was lost in there.

Randy says: The song was a little sleepy for me, but the vocals were hot.
Ellen says: I'm glad we sang you.
Kara says: Beautiful, you sang it well.
Simon says: Million, billion times better than last week.

8. Katie Stevens (Baby, Whacha Want Me to Do?) - Ooh, groovy, bluesy! Ok, I'm believing the voice. Her sweet little high school face isn't selling me, though. The vocals are great!

Randy says: Katie's getting a little sassy! Nice vocals. I was entertained.
Ellen says: Very horny song. A lot of horns. A lot of horns. (Talking about the band.) Man you can sing, that was great.
Kara says: I think you just SHOWED us, girl?
Simon says: It was very loud, a bit annoying. I didn't like the song very much. They liked it, so it doesn't matter what I think.

9. Casey James (Lawdy Miss Claudie) - Liking this!! This Casey character is growing on me. He tied his "halo" back this week, and is really grooving out. Me likey! He even found a way to build his "arc" into this, by muting the guitar in the first few lines so he could build it up in the middle. Nice snappy ending. Good on you, sir.

Randy says: You're in the zone, doing the blue-sy thing. Another solid performance.
Ellen says: You look great, love your voice, look great surrounded by a whole sea of women. Not as exciting as I wanted, but you're always good.
Kara says: We know what you're capable of, but that fell short.
Simon says: A wasted opportunity, forgettable song, but your vocal was good.

My picks to go home: Andrew Garcia and Aaron Kelly. Sorry, guys.

3 comments:

  1. I've been following DWTS more... but now that I've exhausted DWTS clips on YouTube, I'll start checking these out. :) Thanks for the update, as usual. I always keep your rundown up while I watch the clips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother said the exact same thing about Siobhan trying to market a record with no label...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the ONLY person in the US who DOESN'T like Siobhan Magnus?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!