Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday Thoughts about Success, and What We Do

(One of my proudest moments of 2013 to date - the birth of Baby Ying Ying)

Last weekend, a woman was baptized, and today she had hands laid on her head and was confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in front of our congregation. Her son, who has been a member for two years and was ordained an Elder last weekend, gave the blessing. 

The blessing was short and sweet, and the woman and her soon looked very happy. She is a wonderful lady, and I am looking forward to getting to know her. 

I realized, though, as I was listening to the blessing, that there were two conflicting feelings or internal dialogues going on. On the one hand, it was absolutely precious that this son could introduce his mother to the gospel, and be there to confirm her a member - that he was able to be the one to lay his hands on her head. That they could now continue this journey together, and know that they had started it together

On the other hand, there is always the possibility that this decision won't "stick". I realize that is a horrible, horrible thing to say, but I served as a missionary when I was younger. I taught countless people, saw nearly 2 dozen of them go into the baptisimal font. Ten years later, I think there are a handful that still regularly attend services. Life happens, hearts change. You always hope, but..there it is. 

And then it struck me - the difference is her. There is no outside force that can take her testimony from her. No influence that can stop her from believing exactly as she does today. It is her testimony, her beliefs. She has the power to decide if today was the beginning of something wonderful, or just a lovely Sunday she spent with her son. And aren't most things like that? Every time we begin a journey, we get to make the choice - is it a one way trip? Or a round trip, back to where we started? 

For her, and for all of us, I hope we have the strength and faith to start on those journeys, and see them through. Keep going, through the storms and through the disappointments. To look for the joy and beauty along the way, to count our blessings and find the silver linings. Because life is a struggle, no matter how you serve it. That is the whole point of it, isn't it? To struggle, to prove we can stick it out, and to come out better human beings on the other side. Only to get down in the mud and wrestle through another thing. And another. 

Olga? Here's to you. And to all of us. May we find those journeys worth taking, and keep with it until we reach the places we need to be. And once we get there, to stand firm. Because we are worth it, and it is worth our time and energy. 

1 comment:

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!