Saturday, May 25, 2013

Technologies, Unite! (And Baby YY's first trip to the hospital)

Want to hear a story? I do my blogging on a MacBook Pro. I use Blogger as my platform, and use Picasa to keep track of all my photos. Photos come from a few devices...or they used to. In November, I traded my iPhone4 for a Windows phone. Love the camera on the Windows phone...but my MacBook wouldn't recognize the device as a camera, and therefore, I couldn't load any of my photos onto the computer. I found an app that would load the pictures directly to my Google+ albums, and thus let me blog them...but I still couldn't access the files to organize or use them in any other way, without manually downloading them one by one from the Google+ albums.

So. Guess who found an app today that lets her sync her Windows phone to her Mac laptop?

This girl.

I think pigs may start to fly!

(By the way, if you are in a similar situation?? Go to the app store, and find the Windows Phone app. You're welcome. It only took me 6 months to figure this out.)

After a bit of complaining, my 300+ photos and videos are now firmly planted on my hard drive. Awesome.

Over the next couple of days, I'll be sharing some fun memories from the past 6 months.


Let's start with this. That is a picture of Baby Ying Ying, in the emergency room of our local hospital, all better and pain free. Want to know how we got there? 

It was a Wednesday morning - I was hustling the kids through breakfast so we could make it to Zumba on time. Baby Ying Ying started crying, after playing with her siblings, so I picked her up and kept on with the getting ready. Kids dressed, me dressed, rooms tidied...those things. Then I noticed...Ying Ying wasn't using one of her arms. And she was still screaming. Nothing I did helped, in fact it seemed to make her scream louder. Her favorite thing in the world is to clasp both her hands together, and shove the whole big fist into her mouth but her arm was just hanging...limp. I started questioning the kids...and then I started to cry as I realized that my 3 month old's arm was most likely dislocated, and I had absolutely no idea what to do about it. (The 6 year old was, at this point, sobbing - she thought we'd have to cut the leg off and sew it back on to get things straight again. Poor lamb.) 

I called the Nurse Line that we have access to through Lo Gung's work, and was told to get her to an emergency room. I then called my sister, who lives about 10 minutes from us, and...promptly broke into tears. She calmed me down, said she could take my kids, and to drop them off on the way to the hospital. She called the hospital for me and let them know I was coming. 

I have to tell you - Baby Ying Ying is a HAPPY baby. She hates to cry. In fact, on the way to the hospital, once she was safely tucked into her little carseat (immobilizing her arm), she sang all the way to the hospital! We found a really great parking spot, and I carted my baby into the emergency room. I introduced myself to the admitting desk, and waited for just a few minutes. 

A nurse asked me some questions, and brought in a doctor. He gently probed and twisted Baby Ying Ying's arm, but didn't feel the joint click back together in her elbow, and she was still screaming, so he ordered some X-Rays to check for a fracture. The technicians came in, covered me in a lead apron so I could keep holding the baby, and carefully laid her arm on a plate so they could get some good shots, apologizing as she screamed when they twisted it just a bit to get a better shot. 

As they were packing up their gear, I broke into their chatter. "Ummm...look at her arm. Look!" She was moving it! She was hesitant at first, probably remembering the pain of it moving just a few moments before...but soon, she was in her happy place - hands clasped, Ultra Fist firmly planted in her mouth. The doctor came back to check, and the nurse gave him all the credit. I just nodded, and told her the X-Ray tech needed a raise. As soon as we were discharged, we high tailed it out of there. 

That is one milestone I never really wanted to reach, but we survived our first trip to the emergency room! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave us a comment, good, bad or ugly! Please remember to leave your name and/or e-mail address in the comments if you do not have an OpenID or Google account so I can thank you!